Adding and Removing Fields
Creating and updating a metadata definition involves adding items to, and removing items from, the Metadata canvas. Typically you add new fields from the Metadata panel and then configure them with the Metadata Configuration Panel.
Note: The below options are not available if the Metadata Designer is in read-only mode.
Adding a field
To add a field to the Metadata canvas, follow these steps:
1) In the Metadata panel on the left-hand side, double-click on the field you wish to add, and it will be added to the bottom of the list of existing fields on the canvas.
Alternately, you can click and drag the field from the Metadata panel, straight onto the canvas.
If you have more than one field on the canvas, you can move your new field into the correct position, by clicking and dragging the field. The other fields will then adjust accordingly.
2) Configure your new field by providing a name a description and any other options available, in the Configuration panel, located on the right-hand side of the designer.
If you wish to add more fields of the same type, you can keep clicking the field type in the Metadata panel and new fields will appear below the last one that was added.
You can also add a new field, directly in the canvas by clicking the + icon, on an existing field in the canvas. When you click the plus icon, you will see a list of existing fields to choose from.
Note: When assigning a name to a field, the Metadata Designer will not allow you to set a name that is the same as an existing field in this metadata definition.
Using Quick Add
You can also add fields to your metadata schema, using the search field located at the top of the Metadata Designer.
To use the Quick Add bar, follow these steps:
1) Start typing the name of the field you wish to add, and the option will appear in the typeahead.
2) Select your desired field from the lookup, and it will appear in the search bar.
3) Click the + symbol, and the field will appear on the canvas.
Adding a new field via an existing field
You can also add a new field to the canvas, by clicking the + icon located on an existing field, as shown below.
To remove fields from the canvas, follow these steps:
1) Hover over the field you wish to delete.
2) Click the Delete icon.
3) In the Delete Metadata Schema pop-up, click OK to confirm.
4) The field is removed.
Removing all fields
You can remove all the fields that are on the canvas simultaneously. To do this, follow these steps:
1) Click the Delete All Fields icon, located at the top-right of the page.
2) In the Delete Metadata Schema Fields pop-up, click OK to confirm.
3) The fields are deleted from the canvas.
Creating and updating a metadata definition involves adding fields to, and removing fields from, the canvas.
There are a number of ways to move fields on the canvas and change their position in relation to other fields. Before a field can be moved it must first be highlighted by clicking on it. Please note that at the current time, you can only move fields within the same container (Complex field). You cannot currently move them from one complex type to another.
Drag and Drop
To drag items around the canvas, highlight them and drag them using your mouse.
1) Hold down your left mouse button over the field you wish to move.
2) While holding down your left mouse button, drag the field up or down in relation to the other fields. The other fields will adjust accordingly. Release the left mouse button to stop dragging the item.