Creative Asset Specification
Ad Formats - The Format Family
- Standard Formats: include pre-rolls, mid-rolls, post-rolls, seek-rolls and overlays in different variations. These can be static or contain interactive elements. They can be booked as sponsor bumpers and with combined display elements like companion banners outside the video player. These formats are the obvious choice for long form content and are available on all devices.
- Premium Formats: create an interactive and engaging experience for the viewer. Takeover is a traditional linear ad, which takes over the full screen when the ad is showing. Ad Selector allows a viewer the option to select which advert they want to watch, with a range of 2-6 different adverts to choose from. Pause ads start playing when the viewer pauses video content. These formats can generate a higher yield and provide a premium position for the advertiser.
- Format Partners: Ooyala has partnerships with a range of best of
breed format partners and ad format specialists such as Innovid and
Brainient. The Ooyala platform is compliant with the leading
video industry standards - VAST and VPAID, ensuring we can deliver
interoperability between different ad serving technologies and video
players. Note: The Partner ad formats require an additional contract between the publisher and each partner.
- Custom Formats: a service enabling publishers to offer and serve unique ad formats without impacting their high priority internal development projects. We can work with you to build custom formats specific to your needs.
Spot Ads: Pre-rolls, Mid-rolls, Post-rolls and Seek-rolls
Spots can be standard or interactive. The standard format only supports clickthrough to an URL. Interactive spot ads offer more functionality adopted for the Interactive TV; a roll-up reminder bar is displayed after the ad has ended and video starts playing. The viewer can click on the bar to bring back either the same advertising message or a new, follow-up message. If there are multiple interactive ads in an ad break, the user may flip between the reminder bars to engage any interactive spot ad.
The video file you use should follow the recommendations in the Video File Specifications section below.
|Functionality||Standard Spot Ads||Interactive Spot Ads|
|3rd Party impression tracking URL||Yes||Yes|
|Follow up video||No||Yes|
|Companion banner support||Yes||Yes|
The reminder bar is displayed after an interactive video ad has ended and video starts playing. It is visible for a few seconds and then slides up in the video player header, where the user may reach it by hovering the mouse pointer.
|Flash banner format||.swf|
|Recommended dimensions||505x40 px|
|Recommended file size||50kb|
Video File Specifications
If the Asset Factory functionality is activated for your account, you can upload almost any video file to Pulse and we use it to generate new video assets that work on any device you wish to target. You should try uploading a high-resolution file with no or little compression, as the quality of the generated assets depends on the quality of the file you upload.
If you are uploading each video file manually, the specifications for video files depend on which devices you want to target. Make sure these specifications meet the IAB standards.
General Recommendations for Automated Transcoding
|Encoding Setting||High Definiton (HD) Specification||Standard Definition (SD) Specification|
Requirements for Pre-transcoded Files
|High resolution file bitrate (for broadband connections)||700kbs|
|Low resolution file bitrate (for limited Internet connections and mobile Internet access)||400kbs|
|Recommended audio||Encoded at volume less than or equal to -12db|
|Recommended aspect ratio||Check the size of the video player or conform to the
- Supply a 3rd party ad code snippet or upload a banner file (.jpg, .gif, .png, .swf)
- Clickthrough URL
- Follow the standard display banner sizes specified by IAB
- A predefined area <DIV> on your site to host the ad
|Banner file format||.png .jpg .swf|
|Recommended dimensions||400x50 px
Be sure to mask the area around the banner.
Note: The overlay should be responsive to the player.
|Maximum file size||100kb|
You may not have streaming video in the overlay.
- Clickthrough URL
- Video: see Video File Specifications above
- Splash ad (.swf)
- Animated GIF in HTML Ad Player and HTML5 Player plugins (Brightcove, VideoJS, and JW7)
- Non-animated GIF in the Flash Ad Player
- Slideshow .jpg images
A takeover has the same specifications as any spot ad.
- one thumbnail, recommended size 138x105,
- one video file for the ad, that meets the recommendations in the Video File Specifications above,
- and one destination URL.
Pause ads are non-linear banner ads that are displayed within the video area when the user presses pause or otherwise intentionally pauses the content. This way they get maximum attention by the viewer.
|Banner file format||.png .jpg .gif .swf|
|Required dimensions||Same as video player|
|Maximum file size||100kb|
- A close button always appears in the top right corner.
- You may not have streaming video in the banner.
- Clickthrough URL
Partner Ad Formats
Brainient mainly have two products. The first one is BrainAds, which is a personalised video retargeting platform able to serve individual ads to people who visited the advertiser's site before. The second one is BrainRolls, simply interactive pre-rolls with tons of engaging features.
- Contact Brainient for the complete specification of the format. Ooyala serves the ad as a 3rd party ad from Brainient through the VAST standard. Please supply an appropriate VAST URL.
- More info at: Brainient.
Innovid’s flagship is the iRoll, which is essentially a pre-roll that introduces interactive elements, such as clickable areas on the ad which can take users to specific promotions, interactive presentations, other ads, and so on. Innovid also offers a range of iRoll apps, which make the iRoll fully social by utilizing: Twitter follow, YouTube sharing, coupon downloads, store locator, ticket purchase and many other features, all with the click of a button.
- Contact Innovid for the complete specification of the format. Ooyala serves the ad as a 3rd party ad from Innovid through the VAST standard. Please supply an appropriate VAST URL.
- More info at: Innovid.