Ooyala Backlot Release Notes
Updated Ingestion Dashboard (2017-10)Unless you log in as a user with Upload Only privileges, if you go to the Ingestion Dashboard (see Viewing the Ingest Log in Backlot), you will now be able to see all ingest jobs submitted for your Backlot account (including those submitted by other users). If you log in as a user with Upload Only privileges, you will still see only the ingest jobs submitted by your user account.
US ZIP Code Restrictions in Publishing Rules (2017-09-06)You can now specify US ZIP codes for geographic restrictions on the PUBLISH > Syndication Controls subtab. You can use zip codes to selectively allow or prevent access to specific content based on the device's current location. This functionality requires that the Ooyala Player Token (OPT) be enabled for your account, and that the zip code be sent inside the OPT. See Publishing Rules for details.
Backlot Feature Deprecations (2017-06-04)The following Backlot functionality has been deprecated and is scheduled to be disabled: OVP Release Notes.
New Player V4 Embed Codes (2017-05-31)This Backlot release adds standard and advanced embed codes. In the Backlot UI, for Player V4 embed codes (MANAGE > Embed), you can now choose between two types (see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot):
(new in this release)
|Full Name: V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code
Automatically includes the following plugins:
Full Name: V4 HTML5 Player Embed Code (Advanced)
Includes no plug-ins. You must specify every plugin you use on the web page.
Note: This is the same as the Player V4 embed code available before 2017-05-31.
New Ingestion Dashboard (2017-05-10)This Backlot release adds an Ingestion Feed Activity tab in the Backlot UI that displays a read-only log of files submitted for ingestion to Backlot via the Ooyala Ingestion Service (OIS). This dashboard displays the name and type of the submitted file, its processing status, and other related information. You can filter the view to narrow search results. To see this tab, you must log into Backlot as a user with upload only access. For details, see Viewing the Ingest Log in Backlot.
Expanded Support for Player V4 (2017-05-02)This Backlot release expands Player V4 support for creating and customizing Ooyala players.
- Player version support. In this release, you can now explicitly specify
the Ooyala player version (V4 or V3) when you create (Player Selection tab) or
configure (PUBLISH > Player Branding > Player). The selected player version
determines which options are available to configure in Backlot. For example, the
Release Version (on the Player subtab) is displayed only if the currently
selected player version is V4. Similarly, the Info checkbox is displayed on the
End Screen subtab only if the currently selected player version is V3. Note: New Backlot accounts do not provide access to create Player V3. If you need Player V3 access, contact Ooyala Tech Support.
Existing players have automatically been assigned to Player V3. If you want to convert a player to V4, you simply change its player version to V4 (PUBLISH > Player Branding > Player). Backlot prompts you to confirm before proceeding.Note: If you change the player version, any existing settings that are not supported in the target version will be lost.
- Release version support. For Player V4 players, you can choose which
version of the Ooyala-hosted software to use:
- Production - Ooyala-hosted production path (default)
- Latest - Ooyala-hosted production/latest path
- Player V4 Embed Code. For Player V4 players, you can now select a Player V4 embed code on the MANAGE > Embed subtab. You first need to change the player version to Player V4. See Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot and Basic Embedding Information.
- Order of precedence for Player settings. Among the many player configuration options (Backlot, skin, CSS, page-level parameters, inline overrides), which setting prevails when they overlap? See Order of Precedence in Player V4 Settings.
- Deprecation of Channels and Channel Sets. Channels and Channel Sets (Deprecated) are labeled as deprecated in the Backlot UI. For Player V3 players, channels and channel sets will continue to work as before. However, Player V4 does not support them, and therefore they are hidden in the Backlot UI.