Cross-device Resume (XDR)
In conjunction with Ooyala's REST-based APIs, the Ooyala Player V3 and mobile SDKs support cross-device resumption of playback.
Cross-device Resume (XDR) gives viewers the flexibility of starting to watch a video on one device, pausing it, and continuing it later from a different device. The Ooyala service records per-user viewing activity, storing the most recent play position so that playback can resume even if the device changes.
- Lets viewers start a video on one device and pick up watching where they left off on another device.
- XDR is supported by any player that uses the IQ JSON API, for instance Roku or Xbox One.
- XDR works with assets hosted in third-party content-management systems, as well as assets from Backlot.
- Integrates into your customer website or mobile device app through a combination of REST-based APIs and native language calls on desktop or mobile devices.
XDR history is available for 90 days per viewer.
Ooyala's XDR requires the capability to gather information about the viewer's playback position. As such, it works on players and player apps that support Ooyala's Analytics.
- XDR is fully supported by Ooyala Flash and HTML5 V3 Player on either desktop or mobile devices.
- XDR is supported by the Ooyala Mobile SDK for Android and Mobile SDK for iOS.
What You Need
- To work with XDR in the Mobile SDK, you need the Mobile SDK itself
You can download the Mobile SDK from Ooyala Downloads. Click the appropriate version to download a zipfile of the Mobile SDK package.
- Your Ooyala-provided provider code (sometimes called "pcode"), API key, and secret. For information about where to obtain these, see Your API Credentials.
- Code to sign your REST API requests. The signing algorithm is fully explained at General Algorithm for Signing Requests.
- A customer service or other portal that can communicate both with Ooyala's API services and with your client application (desktop or mobile).
- A user identifier of some kind, which is referred to as an "account ID". For recommendations on how to secure your account IDs, see Your Users, Your Accounts: Security.