Ingesting with Aspera
You can use Aspera file transfer software to upload videos, thumbnails, closed captions and manifest files to Backlot.
Overview of Aspera Ingest
About AsperaAspera provides a high-performance file transfer client for uploading videos to Backlot. Aspera uses encryption while transferring data.
Account PolicyYour account is limited to a maximum of 100GB on the ingestion server at any time. If you expect to upload more content, you can request a temporary increase from your Customer Success Manager or Technical Support.
Getting Ingest CredentialsYou need to obtain ingest credentials in order to upload files to Ooyala via Aspera.
Setting Up an Upload-only User in Backlot (OIS v2.5)
- In the Backlot GUI (Account > User Management), add a user with Upload Only permissions to your account (see Managing Users).
- Configure the password for this account.
- Use the email and password associated with this user to log into the ingestion endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints).
Obtaining Ingest Credentials from Ooyala Support (OIS v1)Ooyala must know that you plan to use Aspera and must provide you with credentials before you can begin uploading videos. To use Aspera, contact your Ooyala support representative.
Downloading the Aspera ClientAspera is available as a free browser plug-in or as a licensed desktop client. The Aspera browser plugin will be offered for download the first time a user connects to the ingest endpoint and logs in successfully. You can also download the software separately.
Ingesting with the Aspera ClientYou can upload a video via the Aspera client either with or without a manifest.
Uploading Your File(s) via the Aspera Client (OIS v2.5)
- Prepare the file(s) you want to upload.
- Launch your Aspera client program.
- Log into the ingest endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints) using the credentials (email and password) of your Backlot upload-only user account.
- Upload the file(s) you want to ingest (videos, thumbnails, closed caption files, and so on). If you are using a manifest file, be sure to upload all of the files that are referenced in the manifest file.
- Ooyala suggests that you upload the manifest file last.
Uploading Your File(s) via the Aspera Client (OIS v1)
- Add a new host, specifying aspera.upload.ooyala.com as the host and the username and password that were provided by Ooyala.
- Begin uploading videos, thumbnails, and metadata files. If you are using Aspera with XML or CSV metadata, upload metadata when the video is fully transferred to Aspera. With a basic Aspera account, Backlot immediately begins processing any uploaded videos. With a CSV or XML Aspera account, Backlot will not begin processing the video(s) until after the metadata file is uploaded.
- Continue uploading videos until you are finished.
- Upload the manifest file.
- To check whether the videos processed successfully, see Ingestion Log.