Ingesting with FTP
You can use FTP to upload videos, thumbnails, closed captions, and manifest files to Backlot.
Overview of FTP Ingest
About FTPFTP is a standard network protocol for transferring files from one computer to another. Most operating systems support FTP natively, and you can choose from many FTP client applications. You can automate FTP uploads by writing scripts, have users bulk upload videos through a Windows, Mac, or Linux application, or have users bulk upload videos through a browser (e.g., FireFTP).
Account PolicyYour account is limited to a maximum of 100GB on the ingestion server at any time. If you expect to upload more content, you can request a temporary increase from your Customer Success Manager or Technical Support.
Getting Ingest CredentialsYou need to obtain ingest credentials in order to upload files to Ooyala via FTP.
Setting Up an Upload-only User in Backlot (OIS v2.5)
- In the Backlot GUI (Account > User Management), add a user with Upload Only permissions to your account (see Managing Users).
- Configure the password for this account.
- Use the email and password associated with this user to log into the ingestion endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints).
Obtaining Ingest Credentials from Ooyala Support (OIS v1)
To use FTP, submit a ticket on the Customer Portal:
- Indicate that you want to use FTP to upload content to Ooyala.
- Indicate whether you want to use manifest-based ingestion and provide metadata through an XML or CSV manifest file.
After submitting a support request, Ooyala Support will provide you with a set of credentials, similar the following example.
ftp://d0b206YlR6etqD1HscU4iP3R223:2kg15iBvFOo3ffg@ftp.upload.ooyala.com server: ftp.upload.ooyala.com username: d0b206YlR6etqD1HscU4iP3R223 password: 2kg15iBvOo3fVfg
Ingesting with an FTP ClientYou can upload a video via FTP either with or without a manifest.
Uploading Your File(s) via FTPs (OIS v2.5)
- Prepare the file(s) you want to upload.
- Launch your FTPS client program.
- Log into the ingest endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints) using the credentials (email and password) of your Backlot upload-only user account.
- Upload the file(s) you want to ingest (videos, thumbnails, closed caption files, and so on). If you are using a manifest file, be sure to upload all of the files that are referenced in the manifest file.
- Ooyala suggests that you upload the manifest file last.
Uploading Your File(s) via FTP (OIS v1)
- Prepare videos to upload.
- Locate your credentials provided by Ooyala. For example:
username: 11amo6qGw2oucN78R-BYbDpCESk password: 2kg15iBvOo3fVfg
- Select one of the following FTP endpoints: uk.ftp.upload.ooyala.com (UK/EMEA), jp.ftp.upload.ooyala.com (Asia/Pacific), or ftp.upload.ooyala.com (All others).
- Start your FTP client and begin uploading to the root directory of the selected FTP
endpoint. Videos uploaded to any subdirectories will be ignored. Note: If you are using a UI-based tool, you specify your credentials in the UI. If you are using a command-line tool, your request looks similar to: ftp://username:password@endpoint (for example: ftp://d0b206YlR6etqD1HscU4iP3R223:2kg15iBvFOo3ffg@ftp.upload.ooyala.com). For more information, refer to the FTP client's documentation.Note: With a basic FTP account, Backlot immediately begins processing any uploaded videos. With a CSV or XML FTP account, Backlot will not begin processing the video(s) until after the metadata file is uploaded.
- Continue uploading videos until you are finished.
- Upload the manifest file, if applicable.
- To check whether the videos processed successfully, see Ingestion Log.