This topic describes how to create, modify, cancel, and delete events. Use the Events page to record your live events for playback at a later date and view every event you have created. You must first create a schedule before you can create an event.
Creating an Event
- Click the Schedules tab. This is necessary because an event can only be within an existing schedule.
- Mouse over the Content area on the right and click View Schedule Details, which will bring you to the Schedule Edit page.
- Click on the calendar to create a new event. The following dialog will appear.
- Provide the Event Name and Description, and select the
Channel (the music channel in this example), and adjust the start
and end time as needed. If you are not sure how much time you need, put in
more time than you would expect to use and then stop the event if it is
completed before the end time. Events with archives can be up to 4 hours
long, and events without archives can be up to 8 hours long.
- The Archive checkbox indicates whether an archive will be available, which means you are creating a VOD asset. In that case you can add a thumbnail for preview by providing the Thumbnail Url.
- You can check Trim to indicate that the archive will not be available to play until it has been trimmed. Otherwise it will be immediately available. Trimming removes content from the beginning and end of the video. This is different from clipping, which creates copies of portions of the video.
- Specify the archive duration in the DVR Duration Override section. For example, you can choose to archive only the first 10 minutes.
- The purpose of Start Offset and Stop Offset is that when the event is started, the actual linear stream will be available to any player that uses the embed code for the event. Once the event starts it can take a little time before the stream actually becomes available for the end user to see the playback. Minutes Pre gives you some startup time before the stream begins to play.
- Thumbnail Url: This is the URL of any preview image to be used. We will soon add the ability to select a local asset that we can host.
Click Add to finish. Remember to also click Save on the Schedule Edit page, as you may be creating multiple events.
- Click the Events tab. You will see the status related to the music event. In this example the event has been created and is scheduled to start in a specified number of minutes.
- In the Content pane on the right you can also view the status of the
channel that is related to the event.
Mouse over the Content pane. The following controls appear.You can manually override the automated start by clicking the Start button.
Click View Event Details.Click the Watch tab. If the event has not yet started, no content will be available.
Start the event by returning to the Events tab and clicking Start in the Content area.
Return to the Watch tab in the Event Detail and the content will be available.
Editing an Event
- Visit the Schedule Edit page (see Creating an Event).
- Click the event shown within the displayed calendar to open the Edit Event dialog.
- At this point you can modify the Event Name, Description, start and end times, and fields within the Advanced section. Click UPDATE to save the changes.
Canceling an Event
There are two ways to cancel an event before its data has been processed: you can either edit the event and click the CANCEL button in the Edit Event dialog, or click the Events tab, mouse over the Content pane, and click the CANCEL button.
Click CANCEL EVENT.
Deleting an Event
There are two ways to delete an event: you can either edit the event and click the REMOVE button in the Edit Event dialog, or click the Events tab, mouse over the Content pane, and click the REMOVE button.
Click the DELETE button in the confirmation dialog.