Using Player V4 in Facebook Instant Articles
Facebook Instant Articles (FBIA) is a mobile optimization platform designed for better mobile experiences. Facebook Instant Articles are fast-loading versions of web articles where users stay in Facebook to view content rather than follow a link to another site. Publishers can incorporate the Ooyala Player into instant articles to deliver an optimal playback experience for consumers. For an introduction, see Build your mobile video site with Facebook Instant Articles.
PrerequisitesTo use Player V4 with Facebook Instance Articles, you need:
Supported Player CapabilitiesThe following Player capabilities are supported in this release:
- integration of Player V4 embedded within an HTML iFrame
- monetization through pre-roll and mid-roll ads (where permitted by Facebook)
- event reporting to Ooyala IQ Analytics
- multiple embedded players on a page
- Embed the player on a web page using an iFrame, as described in Embedding Player V4 in an HTML iframe. For example:
<iframe width="480" height="320" src="url_where_hosted/iframe.html? ec=YOUR_ASSET_ID &pbid=YOUR_PLAYER_ID &pcode=YOUR_PCODE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen> </iframe>Note: The &options tag is not yet supported.
- Enclose each embedded iFrame with a Facebook-defined figure class
<figure class="op-interactive"> <iframe width="480" height="320" src="url_where_hosted/iframe.html? ec=YOUR_ASSET_ID &pbid=YOUR_PLAYER_ID &pcode=YOUR_PCODE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen> </iframe> <figure>Note: You can embed multiple players on the same page.
- In Facebook, you simply register the URL of the page containing one or more
embedded Ooyala player videos. Follow Facebook's Getting Started instructions.
- Go to the page you are managing.
- Choose Publishing Tools -> Configuration.
- Follow the instructions for Step 1: Set Up Instant Articles.
- Under Tools, for each page where you have an embedded player configured per the above steps, add its URL to Your Registered URLs.
- Once approved, the videos will become available to insert into Facebook. Follow Facebook's instructions for inserting content into your instant articles.
- Facebook Instant Articles will then publish the article to your Facebook page. When users click on the link to an article, they are taken to the instant article (on a mobile device, they will see it within Facebook's in-app browser).