Migrating from Player V3
Before You MigrateBefore you begin, learn about Player V4, starting with:
- Player V4 for an overview
- Getting Started with Player V4 to help you assess your technical requirements for Player V4 deployment
- Basic Tutorial for Player V4 for a walkthrough of basic Player V4 features
Using Existing Video Assets and PlayersIf you have already been publishing videos using Ooyala Player V3, you can re-use the following elements in Ooyala Player V4 for HTML5.
Existing Video AssetsIf you already have video assets defined in Backlot, you can play them (using their Content IDs) in Player V4 if they are supported by HTML5 Player V3, along with HLS on additional devices and DASH on additional platforms.
Existing PlayersIf you have existing players defined in Backlot, you can re-use them by converting them to a Player V4 player. In the Backlot UI, simply go to PUBLISH > Player Branding > Player, select your player, then change the player version to V4. Note that any existing Player V3 settings that are not supported in Player V4 will be lost. Alternatively, you can simply start over and create a new player (see Creating a Player in Backlot).
Other AssetsYou can also re-use images, remote assets, and closed captions (supported formats only; see Closed Captions in Player V4).
Common Types of Migrations from Player V3This section describes a few common types of migrations from Player V3 to Player V4.
If you do not have existing Player V3 ad plugins or customizations, dynamic skinning, or Discovery, your migration tasks are straightforward. For each HTML page on which you have embedded Player V3, replace the HTML Embed Code (from Backlot) with the new V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code (from Backlot, see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot), then save and test your changes. See Embedding Player V4 on a Web Page for more information.
Customers Using AdsIf you use ads with Player V3, you will need to start using the Player V4 ad plugins.
- To use an ad plugin, load the ad plugin on the HTML5 page where you load your video player and test to see that your ad functionality works as expected. See Ads in Player V4 for details.
- If you use Backlot to generate your HTML embed code (see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot):
- The V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code automatically includes the Pulse, Google IMA, Freewheel and VAST ad plugins. Do not add these plugins on the web page. If your player deployment requires a plugin that is not automatically included, you must add any required plugins manualy.
- The V4 HTML5 Player Embed Code (Advanced) does not include ad plugins, even if you apply ad settings in Backlot. You must also manually add the desired ad plugins.
- If you used page-level ad parameters with Player V3, see Ad Configuration Parameters and Settings for changes to the ad configuration parameters and settings. Some of the parameters you used in Player V3 might be deprecated in Player V4. You might need to update your page-level settings accordingly.
Customers Using DiscoveryIf you used Discovery with Player V3 and want to continue to use it with Player V4, you might need to load the Player V4 Discovery plugin on the HTML5 page where you load your video player. If you use Backlot to generate your HTML embed code (see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot):
- The V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code automatically includes the Discovery plugins. Do not add the Discovery plugin on the web page. If your player deployment requires a plugin that is not automatically included, you must add any required plugins manually.
- The V4 HTML5 Player Embed Code (Advanced) does not include the Discovery
plugin, even if you apply discovery settings in Backlot. You must manually add
the Discovery plugin. For example:
<script src="//player.ooyala.com/core/MY_PLAYER_ID"></script> <script src="//player.ooyala.com/static/v4/production/other-plugin/discovery_api.min.js"></script>
Migration TasksTo use existing video assets with Player V4:
- Either convert an existing Player V3 player to V4 by changing its version (see above), or create and configure a new Player V4 player.
- Follow the instructions in Basic Tutorial for Player V4 and create a V4 player, substituting your own assetId, playerBrandingId, and pcode from step 1. Alternatively, for a more customized UI for your player, you can go to the Player V4 html5-skin repo README at https://github.com/ooyala/html5-skin#examples and substitute your assetId, playerBrandingId, and pcode into the example page.
- If you have any other assets, such as images, you can specify them when you configure the Player V4, as described in Customizing the Player V4 Appearance.
Migrating from Advanced to the Standard Embed CodeIf you have existing Player V4 pages that use the prior (now Advanced) embed code and want to use the new standard embed option:
- In the Backlot UI, go to the Embed sub-tab (MANAGE > Embed).
- Under Generate Embed Code, choose the following embed code type from the
V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code (recommended)
- Click Copy to copy the embed code to your clipboard.
- In a web page editor, open the web page on which you have embedded a Player V4 player.
- Paste the new embed code into your page.
- Copy and paste any of the advanced plugins (only) into the <head> section.
Important: Do not specify any of the standard plugins that have already been included in the standard embed code. Refer to the Ooyala Player V4 Release Notes to see which player plugins are included. Any inline plugin references in your page code should be removed when transitioning to the standard plugin. Any plugins NOT included in the standard embed should remain as added inline.
- Copy and paste any other code (e.g. page-level parameters or inline overrides) from the old embed code into the new embed code.
Migrating Content Protection from Player V3You can use the following content protection features with Player V4:
- Ooyala Player Token
- Rights Locker API
- encrypted stream AES-128 for HLS
- Widevine Modular, PlayReady and FairPlay DRM support
|VPAID 1.0||VPAID 2.0||VAST 3.0||VMAP|
|Device Reach||desktop only||desktop and mobile||desktop and mobile||desktop and mobile|
Determining Streaming Options
The following table describes Player V4 stream options, including migration from Player V3.
|Player V3 Usage||Player V4 Stream Options (and plugin)||Notes|
|Flash Player V3 with (CLEAR) HDS streams||
|HTML5 Player V3 with MP4 Streams||
|HTML5 Player V3 with HLS on Safari and MP4 on other browsers||There is an option to use the encoding priority if you are not satisfied with MP4|
|Flash Player V3 with Adobe Access HDS Streams||Player V4 HLS (bit_wrapper.min.js)||