Migrating from Player V3
Using Existing Video Assets and PlayersIf you have already been publishing videos using Ooyala Player V3, you can re-use the following elements in Ooyala Player V4 for HTML5.
Existing Video AssetsIf you already have video assets defined in Backlot, you can play them (using their Content IDs) in Player V4 if they are supported by HTML5 Player V3, along with HLS on additional devices and DASH on additional platforms.
Existing PlayersIf you have existing players defined in Backlot, you can re-use their Player IDs in Player V4. However, customization on the Backlot Player Branding tab, along with other interface settings associated with the player in Backlot, will not apply in Player V4.
Common Types of Migrations from Player V3This section describes a few common types of migrations from Player V3 to Player V4.
Basic Migration If you do not have existing Player V3 ad plugins or customizations, dynamic skinning, or Discovery, your migration tasks are straightforward. For each HTML page on which you have embedded Player V3, replace the HTML Embed Code (from Backlot) with the new Ooyala Player V4 HTML Embed Code (from Backlot), then save and test your changes. See Embedding Player V4 on a Web Page for more information.
If you do not have existing Player V3 ad plugins or customizations, dynamic skinning, or Discovery, your migration tasks are straightforward. For each HTML page on which you have embedded Player V3, replace the embed code with your new Player V4 embed code (see Embedding Player V4 on a Web Page), then save and test your changes.
Customers Using AdsIf you use ads with Player V3, you will need to start using the Player V4 ad plugins.
- To use an ad plugin, load the ad plugin on the HTML5 page where you load your video player and test to see that your ad functionality works as expected. See Ads in Player V4 for details.
- The default Ooyala Player V4 HTML Embed Code (that Backlot generates) does not include ad plugins, even if you apply ad settings in Backlot. If you typically use Backlot to generate your HTML Embed Code for Player V4, you must also manually add the desired ad plugins.
- If you used page-level ad parameters with Player V3, see Ad Configuration Parameters and Settings for changes to the ad configuration parameters and settings. Some of the parameters you used in Player V3 might be deprecated in Player V4. You might need to update your page-level settings accordingly.
Customers Using DiscoveryIf you used Discovery with Player V3 and want to continue to use it with Player V4 , load the Player V4 Discovery plugin on the HTML5 page where you load your video player. If you are using Discovery, you will need to specify the Player Branding ID (found in Backlot) where you embed the player.
Migration TasksTo use existing video assets with Player V4:
- Retrieve and write down your video's assetId (its Content ID in the Backlot UI), the player's playerBrandingId (its Player ID in the Backlot UI), and your pcode. For details, see Basic Embedding Information.
- Follow the instructions in Basic Tutorial for Player V4 and create a V4 player, substituting your own assetId, playerBrandingId, and pcode from step 1. Alternatively, you can go to the Player V4 html5-skin repo README at https://github.com/ooyala/html5-skin#examples and substitute your assetId, playerBrandingId, and pcode into the example page.
- If you have any other assets, such as images, you can specify them when you configure the Player V4, as described in Customizing the Player V4 Appearance.
Migrating Content Protection from Player V3You can use the following content protection features with Player V4:
- Ooyala Player Token
- Rights Locker API
- encrypted stream AES-128 for HLS
- Widevine Modular, PlayReady and FairPlay DRM support
|VPAID 1.0||VPAID 2.0||VAST 3.0||VMAP|
|Device Reach||desktop only||desktop and mobile||desktop and mobile||desktop and mobile|
Determining Streaming Options
The following table describes Player V4 stream options, including migration from Player V3.
|Player V3 Usage||Player V4 Stream Options (and plugin)||Notes|
|Flash Player V3 with (CLEAR) HDS streams||
|HTML5 Player V3 with MP4 Streams||
|HTML5 Player V3 with HLS on Safari and MP4 on other browsers||There is an option to use the encoding priority if you are not satisfied with MP4|
|Flash Player V3 with Adobe Access HDS Streams||Player V4 HLS (bit_wrapper.min.js)||