Use Cases for Customizing Player V3
Use cases for implementing Player V3.
Before You Customize
- The target environment (web or mobile) where the player will run
- The specific player features that you want to customize
- Whether you want to customize the player programmatically, use a GUI tool, or both
Providing a player for your viewers is a fairly simple client-side based activity involving embedding a code representing the player on a web page. However, to provide your viewers with a unique, branded experience, you need more than just a player. You need the capability to highly customize the player experience. Ooyala gives you the capability to create, brand, and embed an Ooyala video player at different levels of ease and customization using any one of the following client-side mechanisms:
|Ooyala Backlot UI||This method of customization is only for Flash players. Backlot lets you create, brand, modify, and remove a basic player and add or remove player functionality all within the UI. The branding tools enable you to add or remove player functionality, add social sharing features, brand it with your logos, and change color schemes. You can create as many players as you like and make changes to your players at any time. If you want a simple player and want to embed a video with little or no programming, your can use the Backlot UI to meet your needs.|
|Ooyala Backlot also features a Backlot API Reference||Enables you easily perform all the activities that you do within the UI such as create, brand, modify, and remove a player and add or remove Flash player functionality. The Backlot REST API provides straightforward and relatively easy access to Backlot capabilities. If you want to add some programmatic customizations but want to use Backlot conventions for your customization, use the Backlot REST API to get the job done. See Setting up Players Using the Backlot REST API and Players (Backlot API).|
For additional customization resources:
- For a basic Player V3 customization, see Creating and Configuring Players in Backlot
- For ActionScript programming (deprecated Flash Player v2 only), see Player ActionScript APIs (Player V2 Deprecated).
- You can use Theme Builder Customization for Player V3 to build playlists and customize the playback experience.