Overview of the Ooyala Transcoding Service (OTS).
Transcoding ProcessThe transcoding process takes the ingested master files and converts them into one or more compressed streams (or encodes), which can then be played on different devices.
Your viewers will view your content on many different device types, in different countries, under different circumstances, and over different connections where the bandwidth varies widely. One of the key challenges with streaming video is finding the right balance of bitrate (amount of bits in one second of video) and resolution (amount of pixels in a second of video) for each viewer’s connection and device.When determining which encodes to create, consider the following:
- Playback environment
- Security requirements
- Playback quality and its associated operational costs
- Number of encodings - The more encodings you have, the more options the player has to optimize content for the device and available bandwidth. The number of encodings available to your account is determined by the encoding profile that you choose.
Setting Up a Processing Profile for Transcoding
When you first set up an account with Ooyala, you work with us to decide which encodings will meet your requirements. Once decided, either Technical Support or your Customer Success Manager will set them up.
The group of encodes assigned to your account constitute your account’s processing profile.
Once a processing profile is set, it is locked unless you require a change. Changes made to the Processing Profile are not applied to videos transcoded before the change; they only affect future uploads. If you need to make encoding changes to existing videos, please contact your Customer Success Manager or Technical Support.
Playback SupportOoyala supports streaming to the following players:
- Player V4
- Mobile SDK for iOS
- Mobile SDK for Android
- Player V3, which includes Flash Player V3 and HTML5 Player V3
Transcoding and BillingThe more encodings you have, the more options the player has to optimize the content for the available device and bandwidth. However, additional encodings can result in increased billing charges.
The processing profile you choose affects the following billing metrics:
- Transcoded Minutes—determined by the following formula: (Length of Source Video in Minutes) * (Number of encodes), more encodes in your processing profile results in more transcoded minutes per video uploaded.
- Delivery—the higher the bitrate, the higher the delivery usage.