Supported Output Formats
Backlot supports a large number of popular output formats.
The following is a list of supported output formats:
- H.264 video + AAC audio in a mp4 container
- H.264 video + AAC audio in a 3gp container
- MPEG-4 video + AMR audio in a 3gp container
- VP6 video + MP3 audio in an flv container
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for iOS ABR
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for Android (Support can vary based on OS versions. For details, see "Enabling HLS for Android Web")
- Microsoft Smooth Streaming (Silverlight) format (H.264/AAC in an ISMV container only)
- Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) format
Note: The HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS), including Akamai HDS (or HD2) streaming protocol, uses a Flash component. Browsers will soon be disabling disabling the Flash plugin. Going forward, Ooyala strongly recommends that customers encode and use HLS and Dash instead. This may involve re-encoding existing assets where possible. Given industry changes and the increased importance of mobile playback, we expect to deprecate support for Flash-based formats (such as HDS and HD2) soon. Customers should consider these as legacy formats that are being phased out over time.