Supported Output Formats
Backlot supports a large number of popular output formats.
Backlot supports the following output formats:
- H.264 video + AAC audio in a mp4 container
- H.264 video + AAC audio in a 3gp container
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for iOS ABR
- HTTP Live Streaming (HLS) for Android (Support can vary based on OS versions. For details, see "Enabling HLS for Android Web")
- Dynamic Adaptive Streaming over HTTP (DASH)
- Microsoft Smooth Streaming (Silverlight) format (H.264/AAC in an ISMV container only)
- Adobe HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS) format
Note: The HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS), including Akamai HDS (or HD2) streaming protocol, use Flash. Browsers have been disabling and blocking the Flash plugin. As a result, Ooyala strongly recommends that customers encode and use HLS and Dash moving forward.