Notable changes for this release include new third-party player reporting functionality in Ooyala IQ and a new Community login process.
Software Feature Releases
New Third-Party Player Reporting Feature in Ooyala IQ
You now have the ability to integrate Ooyala analytics (Ooyala IQ) with any third-party system (non-Ooyala video players).
- The Player panel shows the third-party player name when events come from a third-party player. For example, if you analyze events coming from JW player, you will see "JW Player" in the Player panel.
- If content metadata is not ingested into Backlot, Ooyala IQ provides
graceful UI degradation. This means that Ooyala IQ can provide analytics for
third-party player events without requiring metadata ingestion from a
third-party CMS system. For example, if Ooyala IQ doesn't get a video
asset's title metadata, it will use the video asset's external ID in place
of the title (see image below for an example).
- If you are using Ooyala players and third-party players to play Ooyala video assets (hosted in Backlot), you can now use one Backlot account to stream video to an Ooyala player and a third-party player. You can view consolidated IQ analytics metrics in one dashboard (through one user account) for both types of players.You can see the different metrics for your Ooyala players and third-party players by looking at the Player and Device panels. Please note that for third-party assets (hosted in a third-party CMS), you will still need to set up a separate Backlot provider account to ingest asset metadata.
You can synch your third-party metadata with Backlot and Ooyala IQ via the Backlot API. See Syncing Third-Party Metadata with Ooyala IQ for details.
Backlot Account Management
- In the MANAGE tab, we have removed the Embed, Monetize, Publishing rules, Custom Metadata, and Encodings sub-tabs.
- In the MANAGE tab Details sub-tab, we have removed the Closed Captions, Published To, and Content Replacement sections.
- In the main Backlot panel, we have removed the Pause button and Size columns.
- In the asset Status section, only Live and Recently created are available.
- In the left panel under content types, only Remote Asset and YouTube Video are available.
- In the ACCOUNT tab, the Account Settings and User Management sub-tabs are available.
- In the ACCOUNT tab User Management sub-tab, the API Secret key is available.
- In the ACCOUNT tab, Admin, Manager, Read-Only, and Analytics Only user roles are supported.
You can use an Ooyala adapter or create your own adapter.
For details on integrating with existing adapters and creating your own adapters, see Integrating Third-Party Players with IQ Using the JS SDK.
- Ask your account manager to create a new provider account with third-party player reporting functionality.
- Synch your third-party metadata with Ooyala IQ and Backlot.
In an effort to make the Ooyala Community more open and accessible, we have implemented a new login system utilizing the Lithium platform for sign-on. This change will only be noticeable to existing Community members active before 12/2/15. In the past, the Community sign-in was tied to your Backlot account. To access the Community, members active before 12/2/15 will need to generate a new password. For details on this process, see http://community.ooyala.com/t5/Ooyala-Blog/New-Community-quot-Sign-in-quot-coming-soon/ba-p/7821.
- Using Ooyala IQ with Third-Party Players: Added new documentation about how to use Ooyala IQ with third-party players.
- Syncing Third-Party Metadata with Ooyala IQ: Added new documentation about how to synch your third-party metadata with Ooyala IQ.
- Ooyala IQ Account Management: Added new documentation about how to use Backlot for account management with third-party players.
- Integrating Third-Party Players with IQ Using the JS SDK: Added new documentation about how to integrate third-party player events with Ooyala IQ.
- Ooyala IQ (Analytics) FAQ: Added new FAQs related to using Ooyala IQ with third-party players.