Add an Event
Use the Events page to schedule the recording of segemnts from a channel's live stream for archiving and playback at a later time and date as a video on demand (VOD) asset.
Events are created within schedules.
- Ad-hoc Channels With Future Events—Ooyala Live tries to start stopped ad-hoc channels automatically 30 minutes prior to scheduled events.
- Ad-hoc Channels Without Future Events—Ad-hoc channels are automatically stopped after an event state is stopped and there are no events schedule within the next 30 minutes.
- Extend Event End Time—You can edit the End Time of an event while it is running to extend the event.
- Log in to Ooyala Live and go to the EVENTS tab.
Click ADD EVENT.
Add Event Dialog ConsiderationsUnderstanding Add Event
- Event Name—It is recommended that you use a naming convention so that you can quickly identify or search on a unique event.
- Event Description—Include details that help to uniquely identify this event.
- Starts on and Stops on—The dates that the actual linear stream will be available to any player that uses the embed code for the event. Once the event starts it can take a little time before the stream actually becomes available for the end user to see the playback. The start and stop dates are constrained by time limit of an event.
- From and
To—Adjust the start and
stop time as needed. Events with archives can be
up to 4 hours long, and events without archives
can be up to 8 hours long.Tip: Not sure how much time you need to capture an event? Add several minutes to the beginning and end of the time you want to capture. If the event ends early, you can stop the event from the EVENTS summary page.
- Schedule—Add your event to one of the listed schedules.
- Channel—You will see the default channel for the schedule associated with the event, but you can select any available channel.
- SHOW ADVANCED—Click to display the Advanced Options dialog.
- ADD—Click to add the event to the selected schedule.
- ADD&START NOW—Click to add the event to the selected schedule and immediately start the event.
Add an Event to HA Channel
- Stopping a channel before transcoding of the event is completed terminates archiving and no VOD asset is created.
- Event for High Availability (HA) channels can't be archived.
- Use the embed code to broadcast the event as a remote asset.
- Ad-hoc channel auto-start is not supported for HA channels.
- Enable Archive—The check box is selected (checked) by default. This means you are creating a VOD asset. If you do not want an archive to be available, deselect this option. Events that are not archived are available for broadcasting for a limited period of time.
- Trim—Select Trim to indicate that the archive will not be available to play until it has been trimmed. You can let it automatically trim to the size of the available buffer, or go to the monitor tab of the event to trim the video segment yourself. Trimming removes content from the beginning and end of the video segment. The event is available for trimming immediately after the event ends. Trimming is done before the video segment is transcoded or archived. Trimming is only available for archive enabled events.
- Extract Captions—Only available for archive enabled events.
- Thumbnail Url—If you did select to create an archive, you can add a thumbnail for preview by providing the Thumbnail Url.
- You can specify how long the event is available
for playback by updating the
Minutes in the Advanced
Options dialog. The maximum allowable persistence
of a non-archived event is 24 hours (1440
minutes). Tip: Enable Archive must not be selected to allow you to set the hours and minutes the event will be available for playback.
- Click ADD.