Stream Prerecorded Videos
You can stream prerecorded videos from Ooyala Backlot. To do this, you create a playlist of videos in Ooyala Live, add videos to the playlist, associate the playlist with a channel, and run the channel. When you no longer need a playlist, you can remove it. To enable playlists for your account, please contact your Ooyala Customer Success Manager.
Create a Playlist.
- Ask Ooyala Support or Live Ops to create an encoder input profile that enables playlists.
- After Ooyala creates this input profile for your account, open Ooyala Live and click the Playlists tab.
- Click the New Playlist button.
- In the Create a Playlist window, enter a meaningful title and description and click the Create button. An empty playlist appears on the page under the Playlist tab. The playlist displays a placeholder thumbnail image and the number 0 to indicate that it has zero videos.
Add Videos to a Playlist
- Click the empty playlist that appears on the page under the Playlist tab.
- In the Playlist Details page that opens, click the Add button.
- In the Add videos to playlist window that opens, use Search to locate relevant videos from Ooyala Backlot.
- Scroll down or up the search results, select videos, and click the Add Videos button. When there are more than 20 search results and you scroll to the bottom of the current results, the window displays additional results. The preview image of the first video in the list becomes the preview image for the playlist. The videos appear on the Playlist Details page.
Edit a Playlist
- Optional: If the channel associated with the playlist is running, and you want to change the first or second asset playing, stop the channel.
- In Ooyala Live, click the Playlist tab.
- Click the playlist.
- On the Playlist details page, click the Edit button.
- In the Edit Playlist window that opens, you can scroll, drag and drop videos, or delete videos using the trashcan icon.
- When you finish, click the Apply button.
Associate the Playlist with a Channel
- In Ooyala Live, click the Channels tab, and click the Add Channel button.
- On the General Setup page, set Packaging Partner to Ooyala Package or Ooyala Akamai.
- Set Encoding Partner to Ooyala encode.
- Click Next Step button.
- On Encoding Setup page, set Encoder Input Profile to the profile that you asked Ooyala Support or Live Ops to create for this purpose.
- For Playlist, select a playlist you created earlier. This playlist can be empty or can contain assets.
- For Slate, use Input Path to specify a slate.
- Finish adding the channel and start it. The channel will stream the prerecorded videos. After you associate a channel with a playlist, the Channel Details page for that channel displays a Playlist tab. This Playlist tab displays summary information about the playlist and includes a link to the Playlist Details page.
Remove a Playlist
When you no longer need a playlist, you can remove it.
- In Ooyala live, click the Playlists tab and open the playlist.
- On the Playlist Details page, look at Channel to see if the playlist is associated with a channel.
- If the playlist is associated with a channel, remove the channel. To do this, click the link to the channel. On the Channel Details page, click the Remove button. Return to the Playlist Details page.
- On the Playlist Details page, click the Remove and the Confirm Remove buttons.
Understand the Playlist Details Page
To work with playlists, it helps to understand what each of the following
elements on the Playlist Details does.
- Title: The title of the playlist.
- Description: A description of the playlist.
- Update button: Applies changes to the information on the Playlist details page.
- Remove button: Deletes the playlist, not the video associated with it.
- Number of Videos: The number of videos in the playlist.
- Duration: The total runtime of all the videos in the playlist.
- Channel: The name of the channel associated with the playlist. The colored indicator shows the state of the channel: running (green), error (red), or starting/pending (gray).
- The playlist's preview image, which is borrowed from the first video in the playlist.
- Playlist: The list of videos, with the Edit and Add buttons.
- Edit button: Opens the Edit Playlist window, which you can use to edit a playlist
- Add button: Opens the Add videos to playlist window, which you can use to add videos to the playlist.