Getting Started: Enabling Upgrade for HLS Playback
As of April 1, 2016 the Ooyala Android SDKs have been shipping with Google ExoPlayer libraries instead of the VisualOn libraries. While there are steps that you will need to take, moving to ExoPlayer will provide a more consistent, higher quality HLS and MPEG-DASH playback experience for VOD and live streams on Android devices.
As of August 1, 2016, Ooyala will no longer support the HLS player integration with VisualOn or provide bug fixes or improvements specific to VisualOn libraries.
- After getting access to the VisualOn libraries from your CSM, download the VisualOn libraries.
- Copy all of the zip/libs/*.jar files into the project/libs/ folder.
- Copy all of the zip/libs/armeabi/*.so files into the project/libs/armeabi/ folder.
- Copy all of the zip/assets/* files into the project/assets/ folder.
In your application, set the following STATIC property before calling
OoyalaPlayer.enableCustomHLSPlayer = true;
- Play an embed code that has HLS playback capabilities (or a remote asset pointing at an .m3u8 file).
- Recompile your Android Native apps with new Ooyala Android SDK and VisualOn libraries.
- Test your application to ensure HLS streams play properly.
A sample application that illustrates the integration with VisualOn can be found at Sample Applications for the Android Mobile SDK.