Getting Started: Setting Up Your Environment in Android Studio
Use these steps to setup the SDK using the Eclipse development environment.
|The Ooyala Mobile SDK for Android||Get the latest version for the the Mobile and Client SDKs page.|
|Android Development Environment||The recommended development environment includes:
|Ooyala VisualOn integration libraries for HLS playback (optional)||For access to the VisualOn libraries, contact your CSM.|
As of April 1, 2016 the Ooyala Android SDKs have been shipping with Google ExoPlayer libraries instead of the VisualOn libraries. While there are steps that you will need to take, moving to ExoPlayer will provide a more consistent, higher quality HLS and MPEG-DASH playback experience for VOD and live streams on Android devices.
As of August 1, 2016, Ooyala will no longer support the HLS player integration with VisualOn or provide bug fixes or improvements specific to VisualOn libraries.
- Extract the downloaded OoyalaSDK.zip archive file.
- Open Android Studio and select Open an existing Android Studio Project.
- Navigate to the Ooyala Mobile SDK for Android GettingStarted App and select Choose. android-sdk/GettingStartedSampleApp
- This step depends on your creating an actual project, whose name is shown as project. Double-click project/res/layout/main.
- Select the activity_main.xml file.
Add the following within the LinearLayout element:
<com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerLayout android:id="@+id/ooyalaPlayer" android:layout_width="match_parent" android:layout_height="match_parent"> </com.ooyala.android.OoyalaPlayerLayout>