Syndication with Google Video Sitemap
Sitemaps enable you to tell Google about pages on your site that they might not otherwise discover. In its simplest terms, an XML Sitemap is a list of the pages on your website. In Ooyala terms a Video Site Map is an XML list of all the videos in your web site.
- Log in to the Backlot UI. The Backlot UI opens.
- Open the PUBLISH page.
- Click the External Publishing subtab.
- From the list box on the left, select publishing type Google Video Site Map and click New. A new syndication is created.
- If desired, change the name of the syndication.
- If desired, change the description of the syndication.
- In the Location field, enter the URL of your verified Google site. The format of the URL should be http://yoursite.com. Google returns an error if you include 'www'.
- To specify which content is syndicated, if this syndication is for all your content, click All content. Otherwise, click Add Labels and select one or more labels.
- Determine the URL of the site map you will share with Google. For example, http://mysite.com/sitemap.xml.
Create an HTTP redirect from the site map file to your Ooyala site map URL.
The precise mechanism for configuring this redirection depends on the type of web server you use and the policies and practices of your web server administrators. In the following example, the META tag with refresh is embedded directly in the page http://mysite.com/sitemap.xml so when this page is accessed, the browser is redirected to http://backlot.ooyala.com/syndication/google?k=ECN4XU3NVM.
<META HTTP-EQUIV=refresh CONTENT="1; URL=http://backlot.ooyala.com/syndication/google?k=ECN4XU3NVM">
- Open your site map URL in a browser to ensure it redirects properly.
- Submit your site map URL to Google's webmaster tools at https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools. Your feed should be properly recognized as a video feed.