Validating and Saving
Your metadata definition is automatically validated as you add and configure your fields. Every field that is added to the canvas must have a valid name and display name. The following rules apply:
- Both name and display name are mandatory.
- If a field has already been saved, the name will no longer be editable. It will be greyed out.
- The field name and display name cannot be more than 50 characters each in length
- The field name can only comprise lower case letters, numbers and hyphens. For example, "a-field-name"
The field name must be unique within the current metadata definition.
As you can see in the example above, there are two fields which have the name title, and so, the one that was created last is highlighted red.
Saving the Metadata
1) Once you have created your metadata definition, click the Save icon, located in the top-right of the screen.
2) The Metadata Designer will notify you that the metadata definition has been saved.
When you save a metadata definition, Ooyala Flex will find all related metadata instances and update the model. This is known as a metadata merge. As a result of this, the save process could take some time to complete. This is also the reason why if you try and save a metadata definition that already exists, you will be presented with a pop-up dialogue asking you to confirm that you wish to proceed with a merge that may result in the loss of data.