Ooyala enables you to monetize your content through advertising and paywalls.
Commonly Used Terms
The following terms are commonly used when referring to video monetization.
- Ad Server: Ad serving platforms such as Ooyala Pulse and FreeWheel.
- Ad Manager: In the context of the Ooyala Player, managers that provide a two-way communication between the Player's Ad Manager Framework and an Ad Serving Platform's SDK for in-session ad playback.
- VAST: The Interactive Advertising Bureau (IAB) defines VAST (Video Ad Serving Template) as "a universal XML schema for serving ads to digital video players, and describes expected video player behavior when executing VAST-formatted ad responses... VAST provides a common protocol that enables ad servers to use a single ad response format across multiple publishers/video players." Go to http://www.iab.com/guidelines/digital-video-ad-serving-template-vast-3-0/ for more details.
- VPAID: IAB defines VPAID (Video Player Ad-Serving Interface Definition) as a standard that "establishes a common interface between video players and ad units, enabling a rich interactive in-stream ad experience." Go to http://www.iab.com/guidelines/digital-video-player-ad-interface-definition-vpaid-2-0/ for more details.
- Pre-roll: An ad position where the ad plays before the video starts.
- Mid-roll: An ad position where the ad plays at some point during the duration of the video.
- Post-roll: An ad position where the ad plays after the video has ended.
- Overlay: An ad position where the ad is shown overlaying a portion of the video while the video is playing.
- Skippable ads: Ads that the end user has the ability to skip through by clicking on a "skip" (or similar) button.
- Podded ads: A group of ads sequenced to play together back-to-back in an ad break. Podded ads will play wherever the ad break is scheduled.
- Companion ads: Ad banners that are displayed near the video player.