Chromecast Receiver Application
- Provides a user interface to display the app's content on the TV screen.
- Handles messages from the sender application to control content on the receiver device.
- Handles custom messages from the sender application that are application-specific.
The Receiver application framework:
- Integrates with Google's Receiver SDK , which builds and enables the receiver application page.
- Integrates with Ooyala V3 HTML5 player.
- Integrates with Google’s Media Player Library , which is Google's code for media/video playback.
- Establishes communication with the Sender application via Google Custom Channel.
We offer two sample receivers that you can get started with: the default receiver and the custom receiver.
The default receiver application contains simplified code with playback capabilities and styling abstracted from the Receiver app. This receiver allows for quick and easy implementation for testing purposes, and so on. Use this receiver if you don’t want to make complicated customizations to the receiver UI. You can only customize logos and icons in the default receiver UI.
This receiver is recommended for customers who need:
- Quick launch timelines.
- Low cost of operation and low maintenance.
- Basic Chromecast functionality without custom work.
The sample default receiver is now open source. Go to https://github.com/ooyala/chromecast-sample-receiver and open receiver_default.html.
The custom receiver application interacts with the Cast Receiver Library and is more verbose to allow for rich customization. The custom receiver UI can be used “as-is” or can be customized. Use a chromeless player and build your own UI on top of the custom receiver and/or customize playback capabilities.
This receiver is recommended for customers:
- Need flexible framework for implementing custom Chromecast capabilities.
- Have strict business requirements for product branding, styling and UX.
- Have access to development resources for implementing custom requirements and continued maintenance.
- Need to build additional functionality(Sender and Receiver) on top of what is already provided.
The sample custom receiver is now open source. Go to https://github.com/ooyala/chromecast-sample-receiver and open receiver_custom.html.