Ingesting with FTP / FTPS
You can use FTPS (recommended) or FTP (deprecated) to upload videos, thumbnails, closed captions, and manifest files to Backlot.
Overview of FTP Ingest
About FTP / FTPSFTP is a standard network protocol for transferring files from one computer to another. For OIS v2.5, FTPS (FTP over SSL) is required. FTP is used for OIS v1, which is deprecated.
Account PolicyYour account is limited to a maximum of 100GB on the ingestion server at any time. If you expect to upload more content, you can request a temporary increase from your Customer Success Manager or Technical Support.
Getting Ingest CredentialsYou need to obtain ingest credentials in order to upload files to Ooyala via FTP.
Setting Up an Upload-only User in Backlot (OIS v2.5)
- In the Backlot GUI (Account > User Management), add a user with Upload Only permissions to your account (see Managing Users).
- Configure the password for this account.
- Use the email and password associated with this user to log into the ingestion endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints).
Setting VR 360 File Metadata
If you are uploading a VR 360 video file, first label the file as VR 360 and tell which type of VR 360 it is, monoscopic or stereoscopic. Use file metadata to transmit this information.
You can set VR 360 file metadata in the manifest file (see Manifest File Formats).
If you are not using a manifest file, indicate the file type by setting file metadata with the ffmpeg command-line utility. For example, suppose you are going to upload a Matroska (.mkv) file. With this type of file, you can create a custom metadata tag named vr360type and assign it one of the following values: mono or stereo_lr. For example:
ffmpeg -i inputFile.mkv -c copy -metadata "vr360type=mono" outputFile.mkv
Some file formats do not support custom metadata. For example, with MP4 files, ffmpeg allows only predefined metadata tags. As a workaround, use the general-purpose description field with predefined values to indicate the VR 360 file type. The value of description must include the text VR 360 and one of the following: mono or stereo_lr. For example:
ffmpeg -i inputFile.mp4 -c copy -metadata "description"="VR 360 Type is mono ..." outputFile.mp4
For more information about VR 360, see VR 360 Videos.
Ingesting with an FTP / FTPS ClientYou can upload a video via FTP / FTPS either with or without a manifest.
Uploading Your File(s) via FTPS (OIS v2.5)
- Prepare the file(s) you want to upload.
- Launch your FTPS client program.
- Log into the ingest endpoint (see Ooyala Ingest Server Endpoints) using the credentials (email and password) of your Backlot upload-only user account.
- Upload the file(s) you want to ingest (videos, thumbnails, closed caption files, and so on). If you are using a manifest file, be sure to upload all of the files that are referenced in the manifest file.
- Ooyala suggests that you upload the manifest file last.