Discovering Content in Player V4
Discovery enables you to keep users engaged by directing them to related and relevant content on your site. Discovery learns continuously from video impressions and plays to provide users with a dynamic, personalized experience.
Using Discovery, you can recommend:
- Videos based on content popularity or velocity for the current hour, day, week, or month.
- Videos with usage patterns that are similar to a selected video.
Enabling Discovery for Your AccountDiscovery must be explicitly enabled for your Ooyala Backlot account. If it is not already enabled, contact your Ooyala account representative to activate Discovery features for your site.
Configuring DiscoveryYou configure discovery settings using the Discover tab in Backlot. For instructions, see Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI.
Adding the Discovery Plugin to an HTML Page
Note: Discovery and Playlists (created using ThemeBuilder) each control end screen behavior, so you cannot use them together. When you embed a player on a web page, you can use either Discovery or Playlists, but not both.To use Discovery with Player V4:
- If you use Backlot to generate your HTML embed code, and you choose the V4 HTML5 Standard Player Embed Code (recommended) option, the Discovery plugin is automatically included and should not be explicitly added to the web page where you launch the player. For details, see Configuring Player Embed Settings in Backlot.
- If you choose the V4 HTML5 Player Embed Code (Advanced) option in Backlot, or if you manually create the HTML embed code yourself, you need to add the Discovery plugin (discovery_api.min.js) to your web page so that the Discovery plugin loads before the player is created.
Discovery functionality requires the playerBrandingId you specify on the page.
Customizing the Discovery User InterfaceIn addition to using Backlot (see Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI), you can customize the Discovery interface by modifying settings in the skin.json config file or in CSS properties.
Discovery settings in skin.jsonYou can change Discovery interface settings in skin.json:
- To customize visual elements in the Discovery screen (such as the title), change settings under discoveryScreen.
- To display the Discovery screen when playback ends, under the endScreen settings, specify "screenToShowOnEnd": "discovery".
- To display the Discovery screen when playback pauses, under the pauseScreen settings, specify "screenToShowOnPause": "discovery".
- To configure Discovery buttons, under buttons, change the discovery button settings for desktopContent and desktopContent.
- To configure the Discovery icon, under icons, change the discovery icon settings.
Discovery settings in CSSYou can customize the Discovery interface by modifying settings under the discoveryScreen element. See Customizing the Player V4 Appearance Using CSS for instructions.
Customizing Video RecommendationsYou can change settings that Ooyala's video recommendations engine uses to generate recommendations for consumers. See Configuring Discovery in the Backlot UI for instructions.
Discovery and Autoplay
- Beginning with Player V4 version 4.12.6, Discovery defaults to autoplay, even when the main video is not set to autoplay on the page. To disable the automatic playing of Up Next or Discovery videos after the main video has played, set playerParams.autoPlay to false and specify playerParams.autoPlayUpNextVideosOnly as false. See Page-level Parameters for Player V4.
- For Player V4 version 4.11.14 and earlier, Discovery defaulted to autoplay only if the embedded player was set to autoplay.